PDA

View Full Version : Denied a job because of Temp Green Card

landlord
08.04.2009, 09:58
Here is a story that I would like to share to those who's holding an immigrant visa/stamp and to those who will recieve it in the future.

I applied for a job a week ago. I finally got the interview and got hired for the job. But, there was a problem when they asked for evidence of work permit/legal status.

When I was brought to the office where they need to fill in for my job paperwork, the lady who is doing them asked me if I can show proof legal status/work permit. I showed her my passport that has the DV Immigrant visa on it with the POE Stamp on it. For those who have never seen a DV visa, on the bottom of the visa states "Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent resident for 1 year."

When the lady saw the passport, she said that this is a temporary work permit that only allows me to work for 1 year, and they don't hire temporary workers. I tried to explain to her that the visa is a temporary green card until Immigration mail in the actual card in 2-3 months. I even showed her the welcome letter to give her an idea that I'm actually a Legal Permanent Resident and not a temporary worker.

She then went to her manager to show my passport and ask about it. When She came back, she told me that her manager even told her that the visa is a temporary work permit and not a green card. I tried to give her more explanation about my status and even told her to contact the Immigration Office is She need more proof that I'm a Legal Resident, but She got more aggravated because She doesn't want to take the risk of hiring me when I can't show her the actual green card. She then told me that they can't hire me because I'm lacking the paperwork.

I left the office and very very pissed off. I understand that almost 99% of Americans have never seen an DV Immigrant visa before, but this is ridiculous. She should know that there is no such thing as a Temporary Permanent Resident. The card/visa is only a proof of status and doesn't show how long until the Permanent Resident expired (Permanent Resident status never expired, but the card does). She denied my rights to work in the U.S as a Legal Permanent Resident. I could sue the place if I want to, but I'm too angry and it is not worth the effort.

landlord
08.04.2009, 10:06
Sad zurim u grad.. poslije cu staviti kako da se odbranite od ovih stvari.. i od gluposti ljudi koji rade kao HR manageri..
poz.

PaulGarrett
08.04.2009, 10:33
I tried to explain to her that the visa is a temporary green card until Immigration mail in the actual card in 2-3 months.

Posle 2-3 meseca su trebali da dobiju GC ? Gde su bili, koji State ?

stizeljeto
08.04.2009, 16:15
Normalno je da ameri nisu toliko informirani o Green Card/u i vizi koja ju zamjenjuje, mi smo nekoliko puta pri apliciranju isto bili provjeravani da vide koji je nas status, pogotovo u ovoj drzavi gdje nema veliki procenat imigranata. Medutim, ovo sto se desilo covjeku je rezultat aljkavog rada HR sluzbe, ocito im je vrlo malo stalo do ljudi kad se nisu mogli potruditi razjasniti situaciju. Bolje mu je da ne radi za njih kada imaju toliko malo interesa za pravo i covjeka, i samo gledaju svoje dupe. Ako su ga primili na posao znaci da ga se nisu htjeli rijesiti da ga nemoraju zaposliti, vec su ga diskriminirali nakon sto su odlucili da im treba kao zaposlenik. To mi ne zvuci kao firma koja dovoljno cijeni covjeka i njegov rad.